mercoledì, settembre 20, 2006

There are other worlds than this

There is an push inside me towards fantastic, hidden worlds, those who are told and those who have never been explored. I feel absolutely enthralled, entranced by reading, or living, in alternative, fantastic worlds.

Jake Chambers, a boy living in one of these worlds, a world created by the writer Stephen King, a literary creation, a little more than scraps of ink on paper, once told to his friend Roland Deschain, the gunslinger the words in the title.

The quality of the writing of Stephen King has its ups and downs, and except for the first book, the prose is often poor. It took little, though, to capture me into this world, whom i explored for 6 of the 7 books it's made of.

I found myself often imprisoned in the amazing worlds movies offer, thousands of scenarios, characters, situations. Some of them so real I wouldn't disbelieve them. I just saw one called Serenity. Apart from missing some dialogue because of the bad audio track it totally had me for 2 hours.

As well, other worlds capture(d) me.
Years ago were called in turn PCCalcio, Warcraft or Starcraft, Medieval, Ogame, Hattrick,
and others, many of which lost in the mists of times where computers ran magnetic tapes where they stored incredibly little quantities of data (for today's standards).
The latest craze is called ryl2 ... a world in 3D, with characters defined by their strenght, agility, magic power. A common MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role PLaying Game), not the most brilliant, not the most original.
Still it has me for some time.

Some people would argue i am running from something, but I know it's not like that, i am running INTO something.

Maybe it is the wish to belong to something in a complete way, in a way I can't pull back from, and still be safe.
Maybe it's a
way to FALL IN, to be released from one's fears, to leave all behind to start over in a place where rules are set and can't be broken.
It's not running AWAY.
Most definitely not.
It's like closing the eyes and opening the mouth.

But safe.

I shouldn't want to be safe, though.

I should want to risk. But that's maybe what i was not taught to.

3 Commenti:

Blogger Scudy&Kimboz ha detto...

By the way if you decide to play Ryl2 use the referral code RYL613987-0 when you register for the password!
:-D
Andrea

5:11 AM  
Blogger Rozzo ha detto...

Do or do not. There is no try. (yoda)
Do or do not, there is no fry (Bender)

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonimo ha detto...

hey andrea

cool with melbourne/shepperton. whenever you come to melbourne itself you can stay with me
we have heaps of space hope to see you in messenger soon
dorit the ostrich

9:21 AM  

Posta un commento

Iscriviti a Commenti sul post [Atom]

<< Home page